The City of Billings City Attorney’s Office is seeking a Deputy City Attorney who will perform a variety of professional duties and a full range of legal services related to municipal criminal prosecution. The successful applicant will prepare and prosecute misdemeanor criminal cases in Municipal Court and represent the City of Billings in criminal proceedings before all other courts, administrative agencies, and boards as assigned.
The successful applicant must be able to work with considerable independence and initiative and to solve complex legal problems, which can have a significant impact on the entire organization. The ability to exercise discretion regarding confidential matters is required.
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, this is an exempt position which may periodically require additional hours to be worked beyond the normal schedule.
Starting Salary: $82,499.46 – $90,915.76/annually plus excellent benefits (this salary reflects step 1 and 3 of a 7 step pay scale for this position, a five percent step increase is issued each year until you have reached Step 7 and is dependent upon merit and annual cost of living raises are also possible).
• Juris doctorate from an American Bar Association-approved law school
• Member in good standing with the Montana State Bar
• Licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts in Montana
• This is not an entry-level position. Minimum of two (2) years of increasingly responsible professional legal experience in criminal law and/or municipal or other government law, or the equivalent
• Prosecutorial experience preferred
• City of Billings Application
• Cover letter
• Three (3) writing samples to include one brief, one letter, and one other writing
Must be able to successfully pass a Federal and State background check and a pre-employment drug test.
The application and supporting documents can be submitted online at www.billingsmt.gov or to City of Billings, Human Resources, 210 N. 27th Street, Billings, MT 59101. EOE.
THIS POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED.